The elementary school program at Bixby is designed to support and encourage children’s lively intellects with a learning curriculum shaped by student interests and individual personalities.
Common across the content areas is a focus on independent thinking skills – problem-solving, curiosity, conceptual understanding and critical thinking – and fostering intrinsic motivation. These fundamental elements of a progressive education are facilitated by content specialists, each with a passion for their content and a love of learning.
The elementary program delivers a whole-child curriculum that places equal emphasis upon academic preparation, independent thinking, social-emotional competence and global citizenship.
- Small class size with a main and assistant teacher and content-expert specials teachers
- A balanced day with rich class offerings (including music, Spanish, swim and gym) and plenty of experiential learning opportunities
- Exploratory learning in nature and cooking club weekly
- Daily time to play outside in several play areas on our campus
- Swim program three days a week as part of the school day
- Rich community involvement and opportunities for parents to volunteer
- Individualized instruction that challenges students to explore their interests, talents and passions in all academic areas
- Grade levels up to 16 students with instructional groups that do not exceed 10 students for each instructional class section to ensure individualized instruction and the full benefit of small instructional groups
- Content-specialist faculty teach their favorite subject with passion. This allows our teachers to know their content area in-depth. Children have multiple ways to engage in learning and enjoying these content areas
- Grades 1-3 have literacy and math teachers dedicated to the lower elementary years only to ensure continuity, depth and deep learning in these core areas in these foundational years
- Students are engaged in problem-solving, critical thinking, and meaningful explorations of content areas
- Student schedules are balanced to support academic growth and foster community
- A full swim program is part of the lower elementary schedule with two swim sessions per week lead by our fully-certified swim teacher and coach
- The music program provides rich opportunities to discover the world of music and is led by our Colorado Theatre Guild's Henry Award-nominated music director
- Individualized instruction that continues to develop talents, passions and interests as well as academic growth
- Students are engaged in problem-solving, critical thinking and meaningful explorations of content areas while finding ways to collaborate and communicate their ideas effectively
- Grade-level sizes can be up to 16 students with instructional groups do not exceed 10 students for each instructional group
- All subjects are taught by content expert teachers who share their passion for their subject with the students
- Students participate in a full swim program with two swim sessions per week as part of the school day
- Music includes in-school performances and a continued exploration of musical theory, genres and performance with our Colorado Theatre Guild's Henry Award-nominated music director
- Foreign language instruction continues with two sessions per week in Spanish
- Students are engaged in problem-solving, critical thinking and meaningful explorations of content areas with the goal of balancing breadth and depth of learning
- Each student receives an individualized schedule to maximize social and intellectual potential
- Electives that foster continued exploration of areas of interest are offered by teachers, community partners and parents
- Opportunities to develop deep friendships and connections with teachers while finding one’s voice and agency
Elementary Program Hours
- School day: 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Extended day options: 7:15 a.m.-8:30 a.m. | After-School: 3:15 p.m.-5:45 p.m.
- Academic Year Program and Summer Day Camp Program for school-age children available